It’s been a while since I baked anything . . . motherhood doesn’t really give you much free time a lot of the time. There was an incident at my daughter’s nursery last night where she was bitten on the lip by another child and I had to rush to get a last minute doctor’s appointment then rush over to the pharmacy before it closes etc etc etc. After lots and lots of cuddles, I can say that my little human is on the mend. I have my go-to recipe for cakes that I use regularly. However, I thought my little human would love something new for when she’s much better. I got a recipe for an Upside Down Sticky Apple Cake by The Groovy Food Company. You can’t go wrong with an apple cake and that’s why I thought to share the recipe with you.
Upside Down Sticky Apple Cake recipe
This delicious autumnal cake is perfect for bonfire night. Using coconut sugar gives a rich butterscotch flavour, and with lots of apples inside the sponge, it stays really moist.
Serves 12-14 Prep 25 mins Cook 1hr
275g The Groovy Food Company Organic Coconut Sugar
175g The Groovy Food Company Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, firm at room temp
5 dessert apples (about 700g), 3 sliced horizontally and 2 coarsely grated
zest of 1 lemon and juice ½
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
50g ground almonds
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3 tbsp milk
ice cream or creme fraiche, to serve
- Heat oven to 180/160 fan/gas4. Grease a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin and line the base.
- Whisk 100g coconut sugar and 2 ½ (2 and a half) tbsp water together in a small frying pan. Set over a very gentle heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves and the caramel just starts to bubble. Remove from the heat and stir in 25g coconut oil. Return to the heat and let it bubble for 15 secs then pour into the prepared tin.
- Remove any pips and stalk from the sliced apple and toss with the lemon juice. Arrange in concentric circles on top of the caramel in the tin – starting with the prettiest slice in the centre.
- Melt 150g coconut oil and cool. Mix 175g coconut sugar, the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground almonds, lemon zest and ½ tsp salt in a large bowl. Add the vanilla, eggs and milk to the cooled oil and whisk together. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and whisk briefly to combine. Fold in the grated apple and pour into tin.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 1hr or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge before turning out onto a wire rack. Leave to cool then serve with ice cream or creme fraiche.
Why an upside down sticky apple cake?
I chose this recipe because it uses coconut oil. Coconut oil is never missing from my kitchen cupboard and bedroom table. Since my daughter was born, the only oil I have ever used on her skin is coconut oil. That’s how she got the nickname coconut flavour by one of my friends. Apart from the lovely smell, I prefer coconut oil to vegetable oil because it is healthier (well, so they say! whoever they is).
Another reason I chose this recipe is because it uses actual apples rather than just flavourings. It kinda makes me feel better that I’m feeding my daughter real fruits in her desserts and not stuffing her full with junk.
I was given a small tub of The Groovy Company’s Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and I will definitely be using it in my baking. I love the fact that it is organic and it also has a really lovely coconut smell. I have used some over-processed coconut oils in the past that didn’t smell anything like coconut, so I look out specifically for Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I bought something called coconut oil (albeit in a spray bottle) and it had only 15% coconut oil in it. This one is 100% coconut oil and you can tell from the texture too. Whilst it is solid at room temperature (in the UK) (coconut oil tends to be liquid at room temperature in hotter countries), it easily melts in your hands, especially when you rub them together.
About The Groovy Food Company
The Groovy Food Company is an award-winning British brand committed to sourcing and producing natural foods that taste delicious and nourish the body’s overall health and wellbeing.
To view the full collection of The Groovy Food Company’s recipes please visit – www.groovyfood.co.uk/recipes
What do you think about this recipe for an upside down sticky apple cake? What’s your favourite cake recipe? Please leave a comment below